Another week passes and we’re done with the first round of development. In this round we worked to migrate the Operation Theater module to the current platform, and the last week focused on modifying the theater scheduler.
We’ve finished modifying it, and the results are mind-boggling. No, seriously, it’s messed up. Right now it schedules activities one after the other on the same day, without looking at the open hours of the theaters. So not what we want.
It’s got something to do with the timelines used when running the scheduler. The start and end times of a theater, and those of a procedure seem to be having an error in the way they get time zones. I need to take a deeper look at that.
Our main goal of migrating the module is complete. Correcting some errors is what’s left of it.
The second round of development focuses on pre-theater data collection. This is the first part of the workflow of any procedure. We need to collect data about the patient’s condition, medications and things that need to be done before the procedure. I’ve listed some of the data I’ve identified as important below.
- Evaluating patient medical history
- Past surgeries
- Diseases that may affect the surgery
- Current medications – may cause complications
- Allergies – for chemicals, drugs or anything else used in surgery
- Fitness for surgery
- Checking the body condition of the patient for signs that the surgery may not be viable
- Prescriptions to be taken before the surgery
- Anesthetics, antibiotics, antifungals, analgesics, IV fluids, Electrolytes, anticoagulants, diuretics, barbiturates
- Fasting periods
- NBM periods for the surgery
- Legal requirements (where applicable)
- Documents requiring legal consent of the patient for the surgery
With this data, I’ve outlined the data model for storing them in the database. I’ll post a diagram here soon.
So the next week, we’re going to start implementing the pre-theater data collection. Forms, Spring and Hibernate.